Well, well, well, No promises.






Wednesday, March 17, 2010

spring break

So it's spring break in Oxford and the university campus is all quiet except for the machinery of the workers and unfortunately I'm one of those workers. Cleaning windows on campus is way better when the kids are gone but I'm not all that excited about window cleaning season starting. We've spent the last two days working on the two business school buildings, which were incredibly nice/expensive inside. Many of the windows required us to rent a giant man lift but that work was left to my boss. I haven't been on a ladder in months but yesterday I found myself 25 feet up in the air. It was more than a bit sketchy.

While finishing up today I was on a ten foot ladder when I spotted three Ole Miss custodial staff watching me from the inside. They had some windex and paper towels but they also had Wal-Mart versions of my equipment. I didn't enjoy being watched and I couldn't help but feel like I was the same as these GED-holding employees. (but they have health insurance) Just because we were seperated by a pane of class didn't give them the right to stare at me while I worked. Seriously people, don't watch people working it's fucking annoying. The male had a stupid grin on his face maybe because he had a pole in his hand and he was high on meth, but he 'cleaned' the high windows and then the two women cleaned the lower ones. I could have found some comfort in knowing that it took 3 people to do my job, but I didn't-they kept staring at me.

Later my friend Robin came out of her building and we chatted. She suggested I figure out some mind game to play to get back at the custodians. The best I could come up with was to convince them I had fallen and it was all their fault. But thinking about falling isn't the best thing to think about when you're 18 feet above concrete and while on the ground I couldn't figure out a way to look like I had fallen without actually falling. So I just cleaned, but damn it would have been great to freak them the fuck out.

1 comment: