Well, well, well, No promises.






Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Assessing While Walking The Dog

A real estate agent wanted to show my house this afternoon and thus Joe Lon and I had to leave the house for a couple of hours. We went to the dog park, but it was mud coated and I had just cleaned my house, so we didn't stay long. Then we went for a walk around town.

I've taken Joe Lon on a variety of adventures, mountain biking, doggy wrestling, puppy playtime, driving to Georgia, but what we haven't done until today is walk on sidewalks with cars going by. It was a struggle, the restricted walking, for the both of us especially while I was talking on the phone. At the gettin' down Moses woods I hung up the phone, let Joe Lon poop and then we started back.

Because I was on the phone and began to notice how many houses I had passed on my walk that I had been in to clean the windows. I could have been a tour guide on those couple of streets. There was the house with the couple of dogs-one of which bit me on the calf. It's the only time I've ever been bit and it took damn near all I had to not kick the dog the next time they called us. Around the corner was a guy who we've done work for several times in the last four years. So he had seen me before, but when he called my boss about getting on the roof of his porch and nailing a giant decorative star on the wall he wanted to make sure that it wasn't going to be me that got on the roof. He was worried I was too heavy. But this guy lives next door to his parents and from the street there houses look like they are separate but the backyards are fenced in together so it kind of looks like a creepy polygamist Mormon compound.

Next door to that guy is a house that has a really bad mildew problem, we're over there several times a year. But I heard from someone that the man of the house is a bit of a nudist so every time I'm over there I'm afraid I'm going to catch a little swinging richard action. Across the street is a couple from Minnesota. When I told them I was from Athens GA the woman told me she had a great story. She then proceeds to tell me that she and her husband conceived their first child in Athens Ga. They also have one of those eight foot long pools that pushes the water against you when you swim so you don't go anywhere. Next to the Minnesotans lives a woman that I swear has it bad for my boss.

Further up the street is a man who once told us that his little dog likes everyone but queers. That's the guy that reminds me I'm living in Mississippi. There were other stories on that street but since it's taken me longer to write this blog than it did to walk from the woods back to my truck-parked in front of the house where the mini horse lives, I'll go ahead and wrap this up. But while thinking about all of this I was reminded of a time when a friend asked me what I would do-how I would relate to this town when I no longer cleaned windows. I don't have an answer and I would prefer not to think about it any longer.

2 comments:

  1. I would love to walk that guided tour with you one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a short story to me! Start writing!

    ReplyDelete